Karen and Ros - Hapuku
with Saffron Vanilla Sauce
Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 15 mins Serves: 6
500g frozen peas
4 x 200g hapuku fillets
2 tbs olive oil
Deep fried eschallots and lemon wedges, to serveSaffron Vanilla Sauce
125ml fish stock
1/2 tsp saffron threads
1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
80ml thickened cream
150g unsalted butter cut into cubesParsnip Puree
2 shallots finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely diced
3 parsnips, peeled, core removed, finely chopped
- To make sauce, place fish stock, saffron and vanilla seeds in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until reduced to about 2 tablespoons. Whisk in cream and bring to a simmer. Whisk in butter a cube at a time. Strain.
- To make parsnip purée, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook shallots and garlic until soft. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, until parsnip is very soft. Drain and reserve liquid.
- Transfer parsnip mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Add reserved liquid and blend until to form a smooth puree. Season.
- Cook peas in a saucepan of boiling salted water until tender. Drain.
- Season fish all over. Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Cook fish, holding down with a spatula to keep flat, for 2 minutes. Turn and cook for about a further 1-2 minutes or until just cooked through. Exact cooking time will depend on thickness of fillets.
- Serve fish, parsnip purée and sauce with lemon wedges. Garnish with deep fried leeks.