Karen and Ros - Chocolate Mousse
with Coffee Crumble and Vanilla Ice Cream
Prep time: 30 mins (+ 4 hours freezing) Cook time: 20 mins Serves: 8
Sliced strawberries and edible flowers, to serveVanilla Ice Cream
2 vanilla beans, split, seeds scraped
5 egg yolks
60g caster sugarChocolate Mousse
300g dark chocolate, chopped
150g unsalted butter
2½ tbs coffee-flavoured liqueur
6 eggs, separated
40g caster sugar
250ml cream, whipped to soft peaksCoffee Crumble
50g golden caster sugar
50g almond meal
30g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
10g freshly ground coffee
1 pinch salt
40g unsalted butter
- To make ice-cream, place milk, cream and vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan and bring almost to the boil. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until well combined, then whisking continuously, gradually add hot milk mixture to yolk mixture and whisk gently to combine.
- Transfer to a clean saucepan over medium heat and stir continuously with a wooden spoon until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon; don’t boil mixture. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Place in a sink one-third full with iced water and cool, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes. Churn in an ice-cream maker until frozen. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for 4 hours or until very firm.
- Meanwhile, to make mousse, fill a small saucepan one-third full with water and bring to a gentle simmer. Place the chocolate, butter and liqueur in a small heatproof bowl, place over pan and stir until chocolate has melted (don’t let the bowl touch the water). Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Whisk in egg yolks.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites and sugar until soft peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture in two batches. Fold in cream. Pour into a shallow container and refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.
- To make coffee crumble, preheat oven to 170C and line an oven tray with baking paper. Place all dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse to combine. Add butter and pulse until crumbs form.
- Pour mixture onto prepared tray in a thin layer. Bake for 15 minutes or until crisp and golden. Cool completely.
- Place mounds of crumble on each serving plate and top with a quenelle of ice-cream. Add a scoop of mousse. Decorate with strawberries and edible flowers to serve.