Josh and Amy - Whitebait
with Chilli Lime Mayo and Pickled Cucumber Salad
Prep time: 25 mins Cook time: 20 mins Serves: 4
1 lime, cut into wedges to servePickled Cucumber Salad
2 Lebanese cucumbers
2 tbs sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tbs fresh dill, choppedMayo
2 egg yolks
2 limes, juiced and zest grated
2 long red chilli, finely chopped
250ml canola oilWhitebait
200g tapioca flour
1kg fresh whitebait
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- To pickle cucumbers, place cucumbers in a bowl.
- Stir remaining ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Pour over cucumbers and set aside to cool completely.
- To make mayonnaise, process egg yolks, juice, zest and chilli until smooth. With motor operating, drizzle in oil until thick and smooth. Season. Refrigerate.
- Place tapioca starch in a large bowl and season well. Toss fish in flour.
- Deep fry in small batches until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper. Season.
- Serve whitebait with pickled cucumbers and mayonnaise.