Josh and Amy - Soft Shell Crab
with Papaya Salad
Prep time: 45 mins Cook time: 20 mins Serves: 4
4 large soft shell crabs
Canola oil, for deep frying
Fried shallots, to garnishKewpie Mayonnaise
2 egg yolks
2 tbs rice vinegar
1 tbs malt vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Japanese mustard powder
Pinch hon-dashi powder
Pinch garlic powder
250ml vegetable oilTempura Batter
1 egg, beaten
100g plain flour
250ml chilled soda waterPaw Paw Salad
Juice of 2 limes
1 tbs soy sauce
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 medium firm ripe pawpaw, cut into 3m cubes
1/4 small red onion, finely chopped
4 tbs unsalted roasted peanuts, chopped
1/2 cup mint leaves, chopped
1/2 cup basil leaves, chopped
- To make mayonnaise, process egg yolks, vinegars, salt and powders until smooth. With motor operating, drizzle in oil until thick and smooth. Season. Refrigerate.
- Clean crabs by removing tail, gills and eyes. Season all over.
- To make tempura batter, lightly whisk all ingredients together. Season.
- To make salad, whisk lime juice, soy, sugar, salt and garlic in a bowl until sugar dissolves. Add remaining ingredients and toss to coat.
- Dip crabs in batter.
- Carefully hold a crab at the top by the body. Drag legs of crab in hot oil and sway carefully for 1 minute. Then lay crab in oil. Deep fry for 2 minutes or until golden. Turn and cook until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper. Season. Repeat to cook all crabs.
- Serve crab and salad with mayonnaise. Garnish with shallots.