Josh and Amy - Koeksisters
with Dom Pedro
Prep time: 1 hours (+ freezing) Cook time: 45 mins Serves: 4
Grated chocolate, to decorateVanilla Ice Cream
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
6 egg yolks
150g caster sugarSyrup
550g caster sugar
2 ½ tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla essenceKoeksisters
225g plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 ½ tsp baking powder
20g butter, melted
Canola oil, for deep fryingDom Pedro Cocktail
250ml Amarula cream liqueur
8 tbs thickened cream
750g vanilla ice cream
- To make ice-cream, stir milk, cream, vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan over medium heat until hot. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy. Slowly add hot cream mixture, whisking continuously. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir over a low heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain. Cool. Churn in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturers instructions.
- To make syrup, stir sugar and water in a saucepan over a medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer until thickened. Stir in juice and essence.
- To make koeksisters, sift combined flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in butter and milk to form a soft dough.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface into a 5mm thick rectangle. Cut into 1cm-thick strips.
- Plait 3 strips together and pinch ends to join. Repeat to use all strips.
- Deep fry koeksisters in small batches until golden and crisp. Transfer to hot syrup to soak for 10 minutes. Remove from syrup and refrigerate until cold.
- To make Dom Pedro cocktail, blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Serve koeksisters with Dom Pedro cocktail. Decorate with chocolate.