Josh and Amy - Chorizo Stuffed Squid
Prep time: 1 hour Cook time: 1 hour 30 mins Serves: 4
8 medium squid, cleaned, tentacles removed
flat leaf parsley
3tbs olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
250ml dry white wine
2 x 400g cans crushed tomatoes
2tsp brown sugar
1tsp mixed dry herbs
1 bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
2 large chorizo sausages, skin removed, finely chopped
1tbs olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 large garlic clove, crushed
2tsp mixed Italian herbs
1tsp sweet or spicy paprika
125ml dry white wine
1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- To make sauce, heat oil a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion until soft. Add garlic and cook until soft. Stir in wine and simmer until almost evaporated.
- Stir tomatoes, sugar and dried herbs. Season well. Bring to a boil. Simmer, partially covered, for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until thickened, reduced and flavoursome. Stir in parsley.
- Finely chopped reserved squid tentacles and set aside.
- To make stuffing, heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook, stirring, until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add oil to same pan. Cook onion until soft. Stir in tomatoes, garlic, dried herbs and paprika. Return chorizo to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until mixture is thick and soft. Add wine and cook until evaporated. Remove from heat.
- Stir in finely chopped squid tentacles, parsley and breadcrumbs. Stir in egg yolk. Season.
- Spoon mixture into squid tubes and secure top with a toothpick.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Heat an oiled frying pan over high heat. Cook squid until lightly browned. Transfer to a baking dish, just large enough to arrange squid in a single layer. Pour over tomato sauce and cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Make 3 slits in the top of each stuffed squid for presentation.
- Serve squid and sauce garnished with parsley.