Josh and Amy - Cape Brandy Pudding
with Chantilly Cream and Strawberries
Prep time: 30 mins (+ standing) Cook time: 45 mins Serves: 10
Whipped cream and strawberries, to serve.
250g pitted dates
1tsp baking soda
300ml boiling water
125g butter, at room temperature
220g brown sugar
260g self-raising flour
1/2 cup roasted, chopped walnuts and pecans
100g caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 20cm square cake pan or baking dish. Line base and two sides with baking paper.
- To make pudding, place dates, soda and water in a heatproof bowl. Mix to combine. Set aside for 20 minutes. Stir in brandy.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in date mixture. Fold in flour and nuts.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- To make syrup, stir all ingredients in a saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 3-4 minutes or until thickened to form a syrup.
- Use a large bamboo skewer to poke holes all over warm cake. Pour syrup evenly over pudding. Set aside for 30 minutes. Remove pudding from pan and cut into slices.
- Serve pudding with whipped cream and strawberries.