Della and Tully - Smoked Duck
with Beetroot, Grapes & Cherries
Prep time: 45 mins Cook time: 1 hour Serves: 4
4 duck breasts
Micro herbs, to serve
150g caster sugar
150ml white wine vinegar
50ml red white vinegar
2 juniper berries
500g red seedless grapes, halved
Roasted Beetroot Puree
4 large beetroots, peeled, coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves, skin on
2tbs olive oil
2tsp caster sugar
150ml thin cream
1tsp white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper, to season
1tsp lemon juice
2tsp Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 garlic clove, roasted, mashed
200ml grape seed oil
Cherry & Wine Sauce
75g caster sugar
100ml red wine vinegar
125ml red wine
300ml chicken stock
18 pitted fresh or frozen cherries
1-2 tsp cherry or redcurrant jam
75g jasmine rice
1/2 cup black tea leaves
110g brown sugar
1 lemon, thinly peeled zest
1 orange, thinly peeled zest
3 star anise, bruised
- To make pickled grapes, stir sugar, vinegars and berries in a saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Pour mixture over grapes in a heatproof bowl and set aside to cool. Once cool, refrigerate until required.
- To make purée, preheat oven to 200C and line an oven tray with foil. Add beetroot and garlic, then drizzle with oil and sprinkle with sugar. Season. Roast for 45 minutes or until beetroot is soft.
- Place beetroot in a blender. Squeeze garlic out of its skin and into blender. Blend until smooth. Add cream and vinegar and blend until smooth.
- To make aioli, process egg, lemon juice, mustard and crushed garlic in a food processor until well combined. With the motor running, gradually add oil, drop by drop at first, then in a thin, steady stream until thick and emulsified. Season, then stir in roasted garlic. Refrigerate until needed or for up to 1 week in an airtight container.
- To make sauce, stir sugar and vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer until reduced to form a sticky caramel. Add wine. Simmer until caramel is melted and mixture is smooth. Add stock and cherries, and simmer for 20 minutes or until reduced by two-thirds. Stir in jam. Season. Strain before serving, if desired.
- To smoke duck, line a wok with foil. Add smoking mixture and then sit a rack inside the wok.
- Place over high heat with lid on until smoking. Place duck, skin-side up, on rack, then cover with lid. Lower heat to medium and smoke for 15 minutes.
- Preheat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add duck, skin-side down, to pan and cook for 5-8 minutes or until crisp and golden. Thickly slice.
- Divide purée among serving plates and top with duck and grapes. Spoon over cherry sauce and garnish with micro herbs. Serve with aioli to the side.