Della and Tully - Orange Cake
with Yoghurt Sorbet
Prep time: 1 hour Cook time: 3 hours Serves: 12
2 oranges, cut into 5mm slices
250g caster sugar
1kg Greek yoghurt
200g caster sugar
2 large oranges
330g raw caster sugar
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
350g self-raising flour
- Preheat oven to 100C.
- To prepare candied oranges, bring a large saucepan of water to a simmer. Add orange slices for 30 seconds. Drain and repeat.
- Stir sugar and water in a large saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add oranges. Simmer for 10 minutes. Drain. Arrange orange slices in a single layer on a wire rack on a baking tray.
- Transfer to the oven for 2 hours.
- To make sorbet, whisk all ingredients in a bowl until sugar has fully dissolved and mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Pour into an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturers instructions.
- Increase oven to 180C. Grease 12 holes of a loose based dessert pan.
- To make the cake, finely grate the zest of both oranges and place in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
- Using a sharp knife, cut away and discard peel. Cut peeled orange into quarters and remove any seeds and core. Place flesh in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Place butter, sugar and vanilla seeds in mixer bowl with zest. Whisk until pale and creamy. With motor operating, add eggs one at a time, whisking until combined into. Add orange puree and whisk to combine. Fold in flour and raisins.
- Divide mixture among prepared pan holes.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Serve cakes warm with candied oranges and sorbet.