Della and Tully - Miso Wagyu
with Bone Marrow and Tempura Vegetables
Prep time: 1 hour 30 mins Cook time: 30 mins Serves: 4
4 tbs red miso paste
4 x 200g wagyu eye fillet steaks
2 green spring onions, cut into 10cm lengths
sliced red chilli and coriander leaves, to garnishPickled Spring Onions
160ml apple cider vinegar
90g caster sugar
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp black peppercorns
2 green spring onions, cut into 10cm lengthsWasabi Mayonniase
2 eggs yolks
2 tbs rice vinegar
2 tsp yuzu juice
1 tbs caster sugar
250ml canola oil
1/2 tsp hot Japanese mustard
1/2 tsp dashi powder
50ml hot water
1-2 tsp wasabi paste
Black sesame seeds, to garnishSoy Dipping Sauce
125ml light soy sauce
1 large clove garlic, crushed
3cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
1/2 tsp sesame oilTempura Batter
75g plain flour
75g rice flour
2 heaped tbs cornflour
300-350ml chilled soda waterBone Marrow
2 x 10cm lengths bone marrow, halved lengthways
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbsTempura Vegetables
2 small sweet potatoes, cut into 5mm slices
4 oyster mushrooms, halved
4 Swiss brown mushrooms, halved
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- To pickle spring onions, stir vinegar, sugar, salt, seeds and peppercorns in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Stir in onions. Set aside to cool completely.
- To make mayonnaise, process egg yolks, vinegar, juice and sugar until smooth and sugar dissolves. With motor operating, drizzle in oil until thick and smooth. Stir in mustard, dashi powder, water and wasabi paste. Refrigerate. Sprinkle with black sesame seeds to serve.
- To make soy dipping sauce, whisk all ingredients in a bowl to combine.
- To prepare tempura batter, sift combined flours into a bowl. Have soda water and vegetables ready nearby.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Season bone marrow well and place on an oven tray, cut-side up. Sprinkle with panko breadcrumbs. Roast for about 15 minutes or until marrow is soft and melting and crumbs are golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, massage miso into steaks, all over. Season with pepper.
- Heat an oiled chargrill pan over medium-high heat. Cook spring onions, turning, until charred and tender. Remove and set aside.
- Add steaks and cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until cooked as desired. Transfer to a warm plate to rest for 5 minutes. Slice thickly.
- To continue with tempura batter, whisk soda water into flour mixture to form a batter (it does not need to be perfectly smooth).
- To cook tempura vegetables, working in batches, dip sweet potato slices and mushrooms into batter and deep fry until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve steak and tempura vegetables with roasted bone marrow, pickled and charred spring onions, mayonnaise and dipping sauce. Garnish with coriander and chilli .