Della and Tully - Garlic Bugs
with Onion and Leek
Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 30 mins Serves: 4
1 leek, cut into julienne
Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
125g unsalted butter, chopped
6 garlic cloves, sliced
4 large Moreton Bay bug tails
Chopped chives, to garnishOnion Puree
800g onions, peeled, coarsely chopped
Salt and pepper, to season
- To make onion purée, place onion and milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 25 minutes or until very soft. Drain mixture, reserving milk.
- Transfer onion to a blender and blend until smooth. Add enough reserved milk to form a soft silky purée. Season.
- Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 180C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Gently drop leek into the oil and fry for 3-4 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Season.
- Melt butter in a small deep frying pan over low heat. Add garlic and season. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to infuse. Increase heat and add bug tails. Cook, basting with butter and garlic, for 4-5 minutes or until bugs are caramelised but just cooked through.
- Divide purée among serving plates and top with bugs. Garnish with leeks and chives to serve.