Della and Tully - Crispy Pork
with Carrots and Caramel Sauce
Prep Time: 45 mins Cook time: 2 hours Serves: 6
2 oranges, thickly sliced
1 onion, thickly sliced
1.5kg-piece pork belly, rind scored
1 tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper, to season
4 radishes, thinly sliced
1 cup edamame beans, cooked, poddedCarrot Puree
1kg carrots, peeled, chopped
1L chicken stock
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
125g butter, chopped, softenedPickled Carrots
500ml apple cider vinegar
2 tbs white sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tbs mustard seeds
1 bunch Dutch carrots, trimmed, peeledAnchovy Caramel
220g brown sugar
250ml red wine vinegar
6-8 salted anchovies
- Preheat oven to 220C. Arrange orange and onion in a roasting dish.
- Rub pork all over with oil and salt. Place, pork, rind-side up, on top of orange and onion. Roast for 30 minutes. Reduce temperature to 180C and roast for a further 1 hour or until meat is tender and rind is crisp. Stand for 10 minutes to rest, then thickly slice.
- Meanwhile, to make purée, place carrots and stock in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil and simmer for 25 minutes or until softened, adding garlic for final 5 minutes. Drain. Transfer carrots and garlic to a blender and blend until smooth. Add cream and butter and blend until a smooth purée forms. Season.
- To make pickled carrots, place vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard seeds and 250ml (1 cup) water in a large saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Add carrots and simmer for 10 minutes or until almost tender. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- To make anchovy caramel, place sugar and vinegar in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 7-8 minutes or until caramelised and thickened. Add anchovies and simmer for a further 3-4 minutes or until anchovies dissolve. Strain and set aside.
- Divide pork, purée, pickled carrots, radish and edamame among serving plates. Spoon over anchovy caramel to serve.