Della and Tully - Berry Eclair
with White Chocolate
Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 40 mins Serves: 20
200g white chocolate, melted
Blueberries and crushed toasted pistachios, to serveCreme Patissiere
150ml double cream
55g caster sugar
1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
4 egg yolks
3 tbs cornflour
300ml thickened cream, whipped to firm peaksChoux Pastry
150g plain flour
A pinch of salt
- To make crème pâtissière, stir milk, cream, sugar and vanilla seeds in a saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves and mixture is hot.
- Whisk egg yolks and flour in a bowl until smooth and combined. Gradually whisk in hot milk mixture in a thin steady stream.
- Return mixture to saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring, until thickened. Pass through a fine sieve into a bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
- Blend raspberries until smooth and pass through a sieve. Fold in whipped cream. Fold mixture into crème pâtissière in two batches. Refrigerate until cold.
- To make choux pastry, place butter and 250ml (1 cup) water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil, then remove from heat. Add flour and salt. Beat with a wooden spoon until mixture leaves side of pan and a smooth ball forms. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Beat in eggs, one at a time and beating well after each addition, until mixture is thick and glossy.
- Preheat oven to 220C and grease and line two large oven trays.
- Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a round nozzle. Pipe 10cm lengths onto prepared trays.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until puffed and golden. Reduce oven to 160C and bake for a further 15 minutes or until crisp. Turn oven off. Using a serrated knife, cut éclairs in half. Return to oven for 10 minutes or until dry. Cool.
- Dip top half of each éclair in melted chocolate. Decorate with blueberries and pistachios and set aside to set.
- Spoon or pipe crème pâtissière into remaining éclair halves and finish with chocolate-topped half. Serve.