Della and Tully - Beef Short Ribs
with Coconut Sauce and Prik Nam Pla
Prep time: 30 mins (+ 30 mins marinating) Cook time: 3 hours Serves: 6
2kg beef short ribs
375 kecap manis
Steamed jasmine rice and coriander, to serveCoconut Stock
2 lemongrass stalks, chopped
4cm-piece galangal, chopped
2 long red chillies, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 tbs vegetable oil
2 x 400ml cans coconut milk
500ml vegetable stock
2 tbs fish sauce
60g palm sugar, choppedPrik Nam Pla
125ml lime juice
80ml fish sauce
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 bird’s-eye chillies, thinly sliced
1 tbs brown sugar
- Place ribs in a large dish in a single layer. Rub all over with kecap manis and set aside for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Meanwhile, to make coconut stock, process lemongrass, galangal, chilli and onion until finely chopped.
- Heat oil in large casserole dish over medium heat. Add lemongrass mixture and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to the boil.
- Preheat oven to 160C. Preheat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add ribs and cook, in batches and turning, for 4-5 minutes or until browned. Add to coconut stock.
- Transfer to oven and cook, covered, for 2½ hours or until tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer ribs to a baking paper-lined oven tray in a single layer.
- Cook under a hot grill for 3 minutes on each side or until caramelised.
- Skim excess fat from surface of stock, then simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened. Strain sauce.
- To make prik nam pla, place all ingredients in a bowl and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Divide ribs and rice among serving plates. Garnish with coriander. Serve with sauce and prik nam pla.