David and Betty - Thai Coconut Mussels
Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 20 mins Serves: 4
2 tsp sunflower oil
1 stick lemongrass, finely chopped (white part only)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
2 long red chillies, deseeded, thinly sliced
2 red birds eye chillies, deseeded, thinly sliced
400ml can coconut milk
2 tbs fish sauce
3 kaffir lime leaves
1.5kg fresh mussels, cleaned
Coriander leaves, sliced chilli and toasted coconut, to garnish
Lime wedges and crusty bread, to serve
- Heat oil in a large wok or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add lemongrass, garlic, ginger and chillies. Stir fry until soft and fragrant.
- Stir in coconut milk, fish sauce and kaffir lime leaves. Bring to the boil.
- Add mussels. Cook, covered, shaking pan occasionally, until mussels open.
- Divide mussels and broth among serving bowls. Garnish with coriander, chilli and coconut. Serve with lime wedges and bread.