David and Betty - Vietnamese Sugarcane Prawns
Prep time: 1 hour Cook time: 35 mins Serves: 4-6
1360g can sugar cane
200g vermicelli noodles
Peanut oil, for deep frying
2 tbs finely crushed roasted peanuts
1/2 small pineapple, cut into thin wedges
Shiso and butter lettuce leaves, to serveSpring Onion Oil
6 green spring onions (green part only), thinly sliced
250ml vegetable oilPickled Vegetables
500ml rice wine vinegar
100g caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 carrots, cut into thick batons
1 small daikon, cut into thick batonsNuoc Cham Sauce
250ml boiling water
150g caster sugar
125ml fish sauce
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 red bird’s eye chillies, finely choppedPrawn Mixture
150g pork fat, chopped
1kg green prawns, peeled, deveined
3 green spring onions (white part only), finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbs tapioca flour
1 tbs fish sauce
2 tsp caster sugar
2 tsp vegetable stock powder
Salt and white pepper, to season
- Cut sugar cane pieces lengthways, to give you 12 sticks.
- To make spring onion oil, place onions in a heatproof bowl. Heat oil in a small saucepan pan until hot. Pour over onions and set aside.
- To prepare pickled vegetables, stir vinegar, sugar and salt in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and add vegetables. Set aside to cool completely. Drain to serve.
- To make nuoc cham sauce, segment lemon over a bowl, catching the juice as you go. Cut segments into thirds.
- Stir water, sugar and fish sauce in a bowl until sugar dissolves. Stir in lemon segments, juice and remaining ingredients.
- To prepare prawn mixture, process pork fat to form a coarse paste. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Place prawns in same processor. Process until finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients and pulse to form a coarse paste. Add to bowl with pork fat and mix with you hands to combine.
- Lift up mixture then ‘throw’ back into bowl. Repeat 10 times.
- Divide mixture into 12 portions. Using wet hands, shape prawn mixture around the middle of each sugar cane stick.
- Cook vermicelli noodles, according to packet instructions.
- Deep fry prawn skewers, in small batches, until golden and just cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper. Brush with a little of the spring onion oil and sprinkle with crushed peanuts.
- Serve prawn skewers with vermicelli noodles drizzled with a little spring onion oil, pineapple wedges, salad leaves, picked vegetables and nuoc cham sauce.