David and Betty - Pork Belly Steamed Bun
with Pickled Cucumber
Prep time: 40 mins Cook time: 2 hours 15 mins Serves: 25
1kg pork belly, rind scored
1tbs olive oil
Hoisin sauce, thinly sliced spring onions and sriracha sauce, to serve
80ml rice wine vinegar
1tbs caster sugar
2 Lebeanese cucumber, thickly sliced
500g Chinese bao bread flour (with yeast sachet)
1tbs caster sugar
2tbs white vinegar
- To make pickled cucumber, stir vinegar, sugar and salt in a bowl until sugar dissolves. Add cucumber and toss to coat. Refrigerate until required.
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Generously rub pork rind with oil and then salt. Place pork, rind-side up, on a rack in a roasting tray and roast for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 150C and roast for a further 1½ hours or until rind is crisp and meat is tender. Stand for 20 minutes to rest, then thickly slice.
- To make bao buns, sift flour and sugar into a large bowl. Using your hands, mix in 270ml warm water until a soft dough forms. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 2 minutes until smooth. Place dough in an oiled bowl and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough, then knead for 30 seconds until smooth. Roll golf-ball-size portions of dough into balls and place on a tray. Set aside for 15 minutes to rest.
- Roll out balls out into 10cm ovals. Using an oiled chopstick, place it in the middle of the oval and fold in half. Remove chopstick. Place folded bun on a piece of baking paper. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Fill a large saucepan with boiling water and add vinegar. Place steamer in position with lid on. Steam buns, in batches, for 3 minutes or until puffed and cooked.
- Place buns on a serving platter and spread with hoisin sauce. Fill with pork, pickled cucumber and spring onions. Serve with sriracha sauce on the side.