David and Betty - Grilled Lemongrass Pork
with Spring Rolls and Vermicelli
Prep time: 1 hour Cook time: 40 mins Serves: 4-6
700g pork neck, cut into 5mm-thick slices
250g vermicelli noodles
20cm piece pork rind, cut into 1cm pieces
25g chopped roasted peanuts
Butter lettuce, mint and coriander leaves, to servePork Marinade
1 stick lemongrass, white part only, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 green spring onions, chopped
50g palm sugar
3 tbs sesame oil
3 tbs roasted sesame seeds
2 tbs fish sauce
1 tbs ground black pepper
1 tbs kecap manisPickled Carrots
250ml rice wine vinegar
3 tbs caster sugar
3 carrots, cut into julienneSpring Onion Oil
250ml vegetable oil
4 green spring onions, thinly slicedSpring Rolls
100g vermicelli noodles
100g black fungus
750g pork mince
500g raw peeled prawns, finely chopped
2 carrots, grated
3 shallots, finely chopped
1 tbs salt
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp sugar
2 tbs fish sauce
1 egg, separated
8 spring roll wrappersNuoc Mam Sauce
150 ml water
60ml rice wine vinegar
2 tbs caster sugar
60ml fish sauce
2 tbs lime juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 red bird eyes chilli, finely chopped
- To make pork marinade, process shallots, garlic and lemongrass until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and stir in remaining ingredients. Add pork and toss to coat. Refrigerate for several hours or over-night.
- To pickle carrot, bring vinegar and sugar to a boil in a saucepan over low heat. Pour over carrots in a bowl and set aside to cool completely. Drain.
- To prepare spring onion oil, place oil in a small saucepan over low heat until smoking.
- Pour over onions in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cook noodles according to packet instructions.
- Cook pork rind in a large frying pan over medium heat until fat renders and it becomes golden and crisp.
- To make the spring rolls, cook noodles according to packet instructions. Drain and chop coarsely.
- Soak black fungus in hot water for 10 minutes. Drain and chop coarsely.
- Combine noodles, black fungus, mince, prawns, carrots, shallots, salt, pepper, sugar, fish sauce and egg yolk in a bowl.
- Divide mixture among spring roll wrappers. Fold in sides and roll to enclose, brushing with a little egg white to seal.
- Deep fry until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Heat a chargrill pan or barbecue on medium heat.
- Cook pork, turning, until just cooked through.
- Arrange noodles in serving bowls and top with pork, spring onion oil mixture, crispy pork rind and roasted peanuts. Serve with lettuce, mint, coriander and pickled carrots, spring rolls and nuoc mam sauce.