David and Betty - Lao Raw Beef Salad
Prep time: 45 mins Cook time: 20 mins Serves: 5
500g silverside/topside beef, finely sliced
100g tripe, thinly sliced
4 shallots, sliced into thin rounds
100g kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped
2tbs galangal, finely chopped
1 bunch coriander
1 bunch mint leaves
1 cup bean sprouts
4 hot chilli peppers, sliced into thin rounds
1tbs fish sauce
1 cup lemon/lime juice
2tbs roasted rice powder
30cm pork rind, cut into strips, seasoned and deep fried
1 lime, sliced
Sliced spring onions, mint, coriander/cilantro, bean sprouts, to garnish
- Finely slice tripe into 5cm strips. On the stove, boil water in a small saucepan. Once water is boiled. Pour in the tripe to cook for 5 minutes.
- Finely slice and chop up galangal, chilli and kaffir lime leaves, coriander and shallots.
- Prepare mint, pick leaves only.
- Finely slice beef making sure it’s about 1mm in thickness.
- Toast rice until it's golden, grind into a fine powder using a blender or mortar and pestle,
- Put beef and tripe in a large bowl. Add galangal, chilli and kaffir lime leaves. Massage through.
- Add fish sauce, salt and lime juice. Massage for another 30 secs and taste.
- Finish off by adding mints, coriander, spring onion and beansprouts. Toss and serve.