David and Betty - Khao Sangkaya
(Sweet Sticky Rice and Coconut Egg Custard)
Prep time: 45 mins (+ soaking) Cook time: 30 mins Serves: 6
2 tbs cooked mung beans
2 tsp raw caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp sesame seeds
Cubed fresh mango, to serve
Toasted flaked almonds, shaved baby coconut and edible flowers, to garnishSweet Sticky Rice
200g black glutinous rice
400ml can coconut milk, unshaken
50g palm sugar, grated
1/2 tsp saltCoconut Sauce
Reserved coconut cream from can of coconut milk
1 tbs grated palm sugar
1/4 tsp saltEgg Custard
220g palm sugar
500ml coconut milk
- To prepare rice, wash it until the water runs clear. Soak in a bowl of hot water for 1 hour. Drain and transfer to a steamer. Steam until tender.
- Open can of coconut milk and spoon out thick creamy top part into a bowl – reserve and set aside to make sauce. Pour remaining thin coconut milk into a small saucepan. Stir in sugar and salt. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and stir in rice.
- To make sauce, whisk reserved coconut cream with sugar and salt until dissolved.
- To make egg custard, finely grate or process palm sugar.
- Whisk sugar, milk and eggs in a large bowl until sugar dissolves.
- Divide mixture among six ramekins. Place in a steamer basket over a saucepan or wok of boiling water. Steam, covered, for about 15 minutes or until custards are set.
- Combine mung beans, sugar, salt and seeds in a bowl.
- To assemble, spoon rice into presentation rings on serving plates. Invert custards on top of rice. Sprinkle with mung bean mixture. Serve with fresh mango and sauce. Garnish with toasted flaked almonds, shaved baby coconut and edible flowers.