David and Betty - Grilled Chicken
with Peanut Satay Sauce
Prep time: 1 hour 30 mins Cook time: 30 mins Serves: 4
600g chicken tenderloins
Sliced red chilli and coriander, to garnishChicken Marinade
400ml can coconut milk
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbs ground turmericRed Curry Paste
10 long red chillies, halved lengthways, seeded
1 tsp coriander seeds, toasted
2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
3 red birdseye chillies, chopped
2cm piece galangal, peeled, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, chopped
4 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
4 coriander roots, finely chopped
1 tbs peanut oil
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cuminSatay Sauce
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tbs red curry paste, as above
180g crunchy peanut butter
150g brown sugar
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbs fish sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
400ml can coconut milkCucumber Salad
300g cucumber, cut into pieces
1/4 tsp salt
1 shallot, sliced
2 tbsp chopped roasted peanuts
1 tbsp coriander (chopped)Dressing
2 tbs caster sugar
2 tbs water
4 tbs Thai sweet chili sauce
1 tbs apple cider vinegarCcoconut Rice
300g jasmine rice, washed
375ml cold water
200ml coconut milk
2cm piece ginger, peeled, sliced
- To make chicken marinade, whisk all ingredients in a bowl. Season. Add chicken. Refrigerate until re-quired.
- To make curry paste, cook chillies under a hot grill, turning, until charred and tender. Transfer to a pro-cessor and add remaining ingredients. Process to form a smooth paste.
- To make satay sauce, heat oil in frying pan over medium-low heat. Cook garlic until golden and fra-grant. Add curry paste and cook for about 5 minutes or until soft and aromatic. Stir in peanut butter.
- Add sugar, chilli powder and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in fish sauce, sesame oil and coconut milk. Simmer until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make salad, combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- To make dressing, stir all ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Cool. Pour over salad and refrigerate until required.
- To prepare coconut rice, stir all ingredients in a saucepan to combine. Bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stand covered, for 10 minutes.
- Heat an oiled chargrill or barbecue on medium-high heat. Drain chicken of marinade and thread onto skewers.
- Cook chicken, turning, until browned and cooked through.
- Serve chicken with rice, salad and satay sauce. Garnish with chilli and coriander.