Damo and Caz - Truffle & Cauliflower Soup
with Rustic Crusty Bread
Team: Damo and Caz Prep time: 2 hours Cook time: 50 mins Serves: 6
Finely grated/shaved truffle, to garnish
Olive oil, to drizzle
1tbs powdered yeast
1 tbs caster sugar
600g bread flour, plus extra to dust
1tbs vegetable oil
3tbs olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1tbsp ground nutmeg
2 medium cauliflowers, broken into florets
1.25L vegetable stock
125ml thickened cream
- To make bread, whisk yeast, sugar and 435ml (1¾ cups) warm water in a bowl until combined. Set aside in warm place for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Sift flour and salt into a large bowl, then add oil and yeast mixture. Using your hands, mix until a soft dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 10-15 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 1 hour or until dough doubles in size. Punch down dough, then turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth.
- Shape dough into two loaves. Place on a greased baking tray and score top with a knife. Cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes to rise.
- Meanwhile, to make soup, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until softened. Stir in nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add cauliflower and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add stock and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until soft. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Blend, in batches, until smooth. Stir in cream, then season.
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Bake bread for 30 minutes or until crisp and golden and base sounds hollow when tapped.
- Divide soup among serving bowls. Sprinkle over truffle and drizzle oil on top. Serve with crusty bread to the side.