Damo and Caz - Steak with Duck Fat Potatoes
Green Beans and Bernaise Sauce
Prep time: 25 mins Cook time: 50 mins Serves: 4
4 medium potatoes, thickly sliced
4tbs duck fat, melted
1tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1tbs lemon zest, finely grated
300g green beans, trimmed
4 x 200g Porterhouse steaks
Olive oil, to brush
Salt and pepper, to season
2 shallots, finely chopped
1/2 bunch tarragon, chopped
60ml white balsamic vinegar
1tbs black peppercorns, lightly crushed
3 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place potatoes in a saucepan of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Drain and allow steam to evaporate. Brush a roasting pan with duck fat, then arrange potato slices in a single layer. Pour over remaining duck fat. Roast, turning halfway, for 30 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- To make sauce, melt butter in a saucepan over low heat, without stirring and skimming any foam off the top. Remove from heat and stand for 1 minute. Slowly pour butter into a jug, discarding any solids. Set aside to cool.
- Place shallots, tarragon, vinegar and peppercorns in a saucepan over low heat and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes or until reduced by half. Strain and reserve liquid.
- Whisk egg yolks in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water until pale and creamy. Whisking continuously, gradually add the clarified butter in a thin, steady stream until thick and creamy. Whisk in strained shallot liquid and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat butter, oil, garlic, chilli and lemon zest in a saucepan over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Cook green beans in a separate large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender. Drain and transfer to a bowl. Pour over infused butter mixture. Season with salt and pepper, then toss to combine. Set aside.
- Brush steaks with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add steaks and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a warm oven tray in a single layer and rest, lightly covered with foil, for 5 minutes to rest.
- Divide steak, potatoes and green beans among serving plates. Pour over bearnaise sauce to serve.