Court and Duncan - Snapper
with Asparagus and Mussel Butter
Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 45 mins Serves: 4
2 bunches asparagus, trimmed, halved
3 tbs olive oil
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
3 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1 tbs lemon juice
1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
4 x 150g skinless snapper filletsMussel Butter
350ml white wine
2 shallots, sliced
500g black mussels, scrubbed, bearded
500g clams, cleaned
100g butter, chopped
Salt and pepper, to season
- To make mussel butter, place wine and shallots in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 12-15 minutes or until eschalots are translucent.
- Add mussels and clams and cook, covered, for 6-7 minutes or until shells have opened. Remove shells and meat, reserving for another use (see tip, below).
- Simmer liquid over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until reduced by half. Whisk in butter, one cube at a time, until melted and combined. Season and strain.
- Cook asparagus in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 2 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
- Place 1 tbs of the oil, garlic and lemon zest in a small frying pan over low heat and stir for 2-3 minutes to infuse. Season. Stir in asparagus. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and parsley.
- Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Season fish all over and add to pan. Cook, holding down with a spatula to keep flat, for 2 minutes. Turn and cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Divide fish among serving plates. Add asparagus and mussel butter to serve.