Court and Duncan - Pork & Mushroom Broth
with Soba Noodles
Prep time: 1 hour Cook time: 1 hour Serves: 4
4 soft-boiled eggs
Toasted black and white sesame seeds and sliced spring onions, to serve
600g buckwheat flour, plus extra, to dust
150g plain flour
375ml soda water
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Pork & Mushroom Broth
12 shiitake mushrooms
2 tbs white miso
1 sachet powdered dashi stock
60ml light soy sauce
60ml rice wine vinegar
2 tbs mirin
8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 white onion, thinly sliced
1 red bird’s-eye chilli, thinly sliced
2 meaty ham hocks, rind partly trimmed
250g oyster mushrooms, torn
125g enoki mushrooms
- To make noodles, sift combined flours into a bowl. Stir in soda water until a dough forms. Roll out dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth.
- Divide dough into quarters and keep covered. Using a rolling pin, flatten 1 portion until 5mm thick and about 12cm wide – nearly the width of your pasta machine. Set your pasta machine at its widest setting, then feed the dough through, narrowing the settings on your machine one notch at a time until you reach the thinnest setting. Pass through a spaghetti cutter and place on a lightly floured tray for 15 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.
- To make broth, soak shiitake mushrooms in hot water for 10 minutes to rehydrate. Drain. Remove stems and slice.
- Place miso, dashi, soy sauce, vinegar, mirin, garlic, onion and chilli in a pressure cooker. Stir in 1L (4 cups) water.
- Add ham hocks. Secure lid and place over medium heat. Bring to pressure and cook for 1 hour.
- Release pressure and remove lid. Cool slightly.
- Remove ham hocks, shred meat and return to pan with broth. Add all mushrooms and set aside for 10 minutes to infuse.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add bicarb. Cook noodles, in batches, for 1 minute or until almost al dente. Drain. Rinse under cold water, separating and shaking the noodles as you go. Refresh in ice-cold water. Drain.
- Arrange noodles and mushrooms in serving bowls. Top with broth, vegetables and shredded ham. Garnish with an egg, spring onions and sesame seeds to serve.