Court and Duncan - Beetroot Gravlax of Ocean Trout
with Radish & Pea Shoot Salad
Prep time: 30 mins (+marinating) Cook time: 0 Serves: 6
1 side skinless trout
500ml beetroot juice
60ml Linie Aquavit
Salt and pepper, to season
Creme fraiche, dill sprigs and finely chopped chives, to serve
1 bunch dill, finely chopped
150g coarse sea salt
75g granulated sugar
2tbs white pepper, coarsely ground
2tbs sherry vinegar
2tbs olive oil
1 pinch brown sugar
250g heirloom tomatoes, halved
4 radishes, thinly sliced
1 cooked beetroot, thinly sliced
1 bunch snow pea shoots, trimmed
2tbs baby capers. drained
1 blood orange, segmented
1 pink grapefruit, segmented
- To make rub, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Place half the mixture in the base of a ceramic dish, place fish on top, then rub in remaining mixture.
- Pour over combined beetroot juice and Aquavit. Top with a layer of cling film or baking paper and weigh it down with another dish of equal size. Refrigerate overnight to marinate.
- To make dressing, whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl. Season. Add salad ingredients and toss to combine.
- Remove salmon from marinade. Rub away salt mixture, then thinly slice fish.
- Divide salad among serving bowls and top with sliced fish. Dot with crème fraîche and top with dill and chives to serve.