Court and Duncan - Smoked Lamb Ribs
with Crushed Kipflers and Parsnip Puree
Prep time: 1 hour Cook time: 4 hours Serves: 4
1.5kg rack lamb ribs, trimmed
1kg kipfler potatoes
4tbs olive oil
Salt, to season
4 tbs duck fat, melted
12 small sprouts, trimmed and halved
4 bacon rashers. chopped
2tbs black peppercorns
1tbs brown mustard seeds
2tsp cumin seeds
1tbs dried granulated garlic
1tbs coarse salt
1kg parsnips, chopped
50g macadamias, chopped
2tbs horseradish cream
300ml thickened cream
2tbs olive oil
- Soak 4 cups of smoking chips in water for 30 minutes.
- To make spice rub, dry fry peppercorns and seeds until fragrant and toasted. Using a mortar and pestle, grind spices with remaining ingredients. Rub mixture over ribs.
- Preheat a barbecue grill over high heat. Drain smoking chips and add to barbecue in a smoking box or onto coals. Once smoking, reduce temperature to 135C.
- Place ribs in barbecue with lid down and on indirect heat and cook, turning every 30 minutes, for 2½ hours.
- Transfer ribs to direct heat and cook for a further 2-3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a warm plate and stand, lightly covered with foil, for 10 minutes to rest. Thickly slice.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place potatoes on an oven tray. Drizzle with half the oil and season with salt. Roast for 45 minutes or until tender. Lightly crush and drizzle with duck fat. Return to oven and roast for a further 20 minutes or until crisp.
- To make purée, place parsnips, macadamias and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until softened. Drain, reserving milk. Transfer parsnips and macadamias to a blender with remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Add enough reserved milk until a smooth purée forms. Season.
- Heat remaining oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add sprouts and cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Season with salt. Add bacon and cook, stirring, for a further 2-3 minutes or until crisp.
- Divide ribs, potatoes, purée and sprouts among serving plates to serve.