Court and Duncan - Chicken, Pickle & Hot Sauce
Prep time: 35 mins (+ 4 hours marinating) Cook time: 45 mins Serves: 6
1½ tbs smoked paprika
1 tbs salt
1 tbs garlic powder
2 tsp cracked black pepper
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1.5kg chicken wings, trimmed
250g plain flour
Vegetable oil, to deep-fryPickle
4 mini cucumbers, cut into julienne
1 onion, thinly sliced
½ tsp salt
375ml apple cider vinegar
220g caster sugar
2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 pinch of ground turmericHot Sauce
1 tbs vegetable oil
4-6 fresh jalapeño chillies, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 bunch coriander stems, finely chopped, leaves reserved
500ml white vinegar
500ml apple cider vinegar
2 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs salt
1 tbs black pepper
2 tsp coriander seeds, roasted, ground
100ml tomato ketchup
1 tbs cornflour, dissolved in 1 tbs water
- Combine all spices in a small bowl. Transfer a quarter of the mixture into a baking dish and stir in buttermilk. Reserve remaining spice mixture.
- Add chicken to buttermilk mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight to marinate.
- Meanwhile, to make pickle, combine cucumber, onion and salt in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Place vinegar, sugar, mustard and coriander seeds and turmeric in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Rinse salt from cucumber mixture, then add to pan. Bring to a simmer.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and set aside to cool. Cover and refrigerate until required.
- To make hot sauce, heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add chilli and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in remaining ingredients, except the cornflour mixture.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes or until reduced by a third. Add cornflour mixture and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Set aside to cool slightly, then using a handheld blender, blend until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until cold.
- Remove chicken from marinade, scraping away any excess. Rub chicken all over with reserved spice mixture then coat in flour.
- Place on a rack over an oven tray and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 180C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Working in batches, gently drop chicken into the oil and fry, turning halfway, for 5-6 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Season with salt.
- Divide chicken and cucumbers among serving plates and serve with hot sauce to the side.