Caitie and Demi - Matchamisu
Prep time: 1 hour 15 mins Cook time: 30 mins Serves: 6
Edible flowers, roasted almonds and pistachios, to decorate
60g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1tbs matcha powder
1tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs, separated
220g caster sugar
60ml melted butter, at room temperature
100g caster sugar
1tbs orange-flavoured liqueur
3 egg yolks
100g caster sugar
250g mascarpone chesse
250ml thickened cream, whipped to soft peaks
1tbs matcha powder, dissolved in 2tbs hot water, then cooled
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 20cm cake pan.
- To make sponge, sift combined flours and baking powder into a bowl.
- Whisk milk, matcha powder and vanilla in another bowl to combine.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites with half the sugar until soft peaks form.
- Whisk egg yolks with remaining sugar until thick, creamy and doubled in volume. Fold egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture. Fold in sifted flour mixture. Fold in butter.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until cooked when tested.
- Stand in pan for 5 minutes then invert onto a cooling rack and remove paper to cool completely.
- To make syrup, stir all ingredients in a saucepan over low heat until smooth and sugar is dissolved. Cool completely.
- To make filling, using a hand held electric mixer, whisk eggs and sugar until thick and creamy.
- Lightly whisk mascarpone with a fork to lighten. Fold egg yolk mixture into mascarpone in three batches. Fold in cream.
- Divide mixture in half and fold matcha mixture through one half.
- To assemble, cut out twelve rounds from the sponge, the same size as your ramekins or serving dishes. Brush both sides of each sponge round with syrup.
- Place one round of sponge in base of each ramekin and top with a layer of matcha flavoured filling. Top with another round of cake and a layer of the plain mascarpone filling.
- Decorate with nuts and edible flowers.