Brett and Marie - Limoncello Mousse
with Lavendar Biscotti
Prep time: 50 mins (+ 4hours chilling) Cook time: 1 hour Serves: 4
2 large lemons
250g mascarpone cheese
finely grated zest of 2 lemons
3 tbs limoncello liqueur
1 tbs lemon juice
3 egg whites
50g caster sugar
125g butter, softened
220g raw caster sugar
3 tbs fresh lavendar flowers, finely chopped
2 tbs finely grated orange zest
½ tsp vanilla paste
450g plain flour
2 ½ tsp baking powder
- To make mousse, lightly whisk mascarpone, zest, liqueur and juice together to combine.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. With motor operating, gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved. Fold egg white mixture into mascarpone mixture.
- Cut large lemons in half lengthways and hollow out, leaving a shell.
- Spoon mousse into lemon shell halves. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- To make biscotti, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy. With motor operating, beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in lavender, zest and paste. Fold in combined sifted flour, baking powder and salt to form a dough.
- 6. Shape into two loaves and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 170C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- 8. Remove plastic wrap and transfer loaves to an oven tray.
- 9. Bake for about 30 minutes or until firm and golden. When cool enough to handle, slice thickly and return slices to oven tray in a single layer.
- 10. Bake for about a further 20 minutes or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Serve mousse with biscotti.