Amy and Tyson - Dark Chocolate & Salted Caramel Brownie
Prep time: 40 mins Cook time: 1 hour 40 mins Serves: 20
110g caster sugar
50g salted butter, cubed
60ml thickened cream
1/2 tsp saltBrownie
400g unsalted butter
200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
200g dark chocolate (50% cocoa solids)
220g caster sugar
7 medium eggs
250g plain flour
100g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp sea saltCaramel Popcorn
125g butter, chopped
165g brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tbs glucose syrup
1 cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
4 cups popped corn kernels
- Preheat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar and stir until melted. Add butter, one cube at a time, until melted and combined. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add a splash of cream, stirring until melted and combined. Stir in remanning cream. Place pan back over heat and simmer for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in salt. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- To make brownie, preheat oven to 160C and line base and sides of a 20cm cake pan with baking paper.
- Preheat a medium saucepan over low heat. Add butter and chocolate and stir until smooth and melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Using an electric mixer, beat sugar, eggs and caramel until combined. Whisk in melted chocolate. Add combined sifted flour, cocoa and salt. Stir until smooth. Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until set and a crust has formed. Set aside in pan to cool.
- To make caramel popcorn, reduce oven to 120C and line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Preheat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add butter, sugar and syrup and stir until sugar has dissolved. Boil, without stirring, for 3 minutes. Add three-quarters of the mixture to a bowl with peanuts and popcorn and toss to combine. Spread onto prepared tray in a single layer.
- Bake, tossing every 20 minutes, for 1 hour, then set aside to cool completely. Break into chunks to separate.
- Slice brownies and place on serving plates. Top with popcorn. Drizzle over remaining caramel sauce to serve.