Amy and Tyson - Cheese Sorbet
with Walnut Cake and Carrot
Prep Time: 55 mins (+ 4 hours freezing) Cook time: 45 mins Serves: 8
200g brown sugar
3 large carrots, diced into 1cm cubesSorbet
120g caster sugar
2g xanthan gum
100g cream cheese
130g cottage cheese
90g glucose syrupWalnut Cake
80g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
110g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbs milk
60g roasted walnut meal
30g walnuts, roasted, finely choppedCarrot Foam
500ml fresh carrot juice
2.5g soy lecithin powder
- To make sorbet, mix half the sugar, salt and xanthan gum in a small bowl.
- Stir milk and remaining sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until cold.
- Pour milk mixture into a blender. Add xanthan gum mixture, cheeses and glucose. Blend on high until thoroughly mixed. Churn in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Freeze for 4 hours or until required.
- Meanwhile, to make cake, preheat oven to 180C and grease an 18cm square cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then add combined sifted flour and baking powder, and remaining ingredients. Fold to combine, then pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Coarsely crumble.
- Stir sugar and 400ml water in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 6-8 minutes or until a golden syrup forms. Reduce heat to low. Add carrots and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until syrup thickens and carrots become caramelised and sticky.
- To make carrot foam, place carrot juice in a large bowl. Sprinkle over lecithin powder. Using a stick blender, blend for 1-2 minutes or until a foam forms.
- Place crumbled cake on serving plates and top with cheese sorbet and carrots. Dot carrot foam on plates to serve.