Amy and Tyson - Braised Parsnip
with Curry Lemon Curd and Basil Ice Cream
Prep time: 1 hour (+ 4 hours freezing) Cook time: 45 mins Serves: 4
4 parsnips, peeled
2 tbs caster sugar
2 bananas, peeled, halved lengthwaysBasil Ice Cream
500ml thickened cream
1 bunch basil, leaves picked
5 egg yolks
120g caster sugarCurry Lemon Curd
2 egg yolks
220g caster sugar
125g unsalted butter
125ml lemon juice
3 lemons, zested
1/2 tsp mild curry powderNut Crumble
45g pistachios, coarsely chopped
45g cashews, coarsely chopped
45g slivered almonds, coarsely chopped
55g brown sugar
2 tbs plain flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
30g butter, melted
- To make ice-cream, place milk, cream and basil in a saucepan and bring almost to the boil. Remove from heat and set aside for 1 hour to infuse. Strain and return to pan. Reheat until hot.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until well combined, then whisking continuously, gradually add hot milk mixture to yolk mixture and whisk gently to combine. Transfer to a clean saucepan over medium heat and stir continuously with a wooden spoon until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon; don’t boil mixture. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Place in a sink one-third full with iced water and cool, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes. Churn in an ice-cream maker until frozen. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for 4 hours or until very firm.
- Meanwhile, to make curd, whisk eggs, egg yolks and sugar in a medium saucepan, off the heat, until smooth. Add remaining ingredients. Stir over low heat for 10 minutes or until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. Strain into a bowl, then cover with plastic wrap. Cool completely.
- To make nut crumble, preheat oven to 180C and line an oven tray with baking paper. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and spread onto prepared tray. Bake for 20 minutes or until crisp and golden. Set aside to cool completely.
- Place parsnip in a saucepan of cold lightly salted water. Bring to the boil and gently cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Cut in half lengthways.
- Melt half the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add parsnips to pan and cook, turning, for 4 minutes or until softened and caramelised.
- Remove parsnip from pan. Add sugar and remaining butter. Add bananas and cook for 4 minutes or until softened and caramelised.
- Divide parsnip, banana, curd and crumble among serving plates and serve with a scoop of ice-cream to the side.