Albert and Dave - Hong Kong Egg Tart
with Warm Banana
Prep time: 40 mins Cook time: 1 hour Serves: 8
250ml coconut milk
2tbs caster sugar
4 bananas, thickly sliced
375g plain flour, plus extra to dust
1/4 tsp salt
125g cold lard, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1tbs vanilla extract
- To make crumble, preheat oven to 150C and line an oven tray with baking paper. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add combined sifted flours and tea. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently until smooth. Push dough through a wire cooling rack to form a coarse crumble. Place on prepared tray and bake for 20 minutes or until crisp. Set aside to cool completely.
- To make pastry, process flour, salt and lard in a food processor until mixture resembles crumbs. Add 3 tbs hot water and process until mixture just comes together. Shape into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry on a lightly floured work surface until 2mm thick. Use it to line 8 x 8cm round fluted tart tins with removable bases.
- To make filling, preheat oven to 180C. Whisk all ingredients until combined. Strain mixture, then divide among tart shells. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until just set, but still have a slight wobble in the centre. Remove from oven and allow to cool in tins for 10 minutes. Remove from tins and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- tir milk and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened. Add bananas and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 4-5 minutes or until bananas have softened. Strain, reserving bananas and coconut milk.
- Place tarts on each serving plate and top with crumble. Place bananas to the side and drizzle over coconut mixture to serve.