Tamara Graffen - Mini Macarons
(Ice Cream Sandwiches)
100g egg white
135g almond meal, sifted
135g icing sugar, sifted
135g caster sugar
5 drops electric pink gel food colouring
Goat’s Cheese Parfait
2 egg yolks
1½ tbsp sugar
75g goat’s cheese
1 tbsp tarragon, finely chopped
200g crème fraiche
10 strawberries, halved
2 cups Rosé
¼ cup sugar
5 sprigs tarragon
10 strawberries, quartered
10 strawberries, quartered
½ cup Rosé verjuice
Strawberry, Rose and Tarragon Syrup
5 strawberries, diced
1 cup Rosé
¼ cup sugar
3 sprigs tarragon, leaves picked
- Preheat oven to 130C.
- For the Macaron Shells, combine the almond meal and icing sugar in a large metal bowl. Add 50g egg whites to the almond meal and icing sugar mixture and mix until combined.
- Place the remaining 50g of egg white into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and begin whisking egg whites on low speed.
- Meanwhile, combine the caster sugar and water in a small saucepan on medium heat, brushing down the sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent crystals forming. Heat the sugar syrup until it reaches 118C. Once the syrup is at temperature, increase the mixer speed to high and gradually pour the sugar syrup onto the egg whites, whisking continuously.
- Continue whisking the egg whites for approximately 5 minutes or until soft glossy peaks form and meringue has cooled slightly.
- Fold the meringue into the almond meal mixture, until the mixture falls back onto itself when the spatula is lifted from the mixture, and the dropped mixture smooths itself out within five seconds.
- Place mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm round tip and pipe approximately 4cm circles onto a flat baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Leave the piped shells to rest at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before baking.
- Bake macarons in the pre-heated oven for 14 -16 minutes or until ‘feet’ have appeared at the base of the macarons and they are cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly on the tray, then carefully peel the shells from the baking sheet and set aside until ready to serve.
- For the Goat’s Cheese Parfait, whisk the egg, egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl set over a medium saucepan of simmering water until they are thick, pale and ribbons form when the whisk is lifted from the bowl.
- Remove bowl from heat and whisk in crumbled goat’s cheese and tarragon until fully combined.
- Meanwhile, place crème fraiche in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whisk until thick and stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped crème fraiche into the goat’s cheese base until fully incorporated.
- Place a sheet of 4cm disc moulds on to a flat baking tray. Fill each disc mould with parfait mixture and use an offset spatula to level off the surface. Place the moulds into the freezer until completely frozen. Once frozen, unmould and set aside in the freezer on a small baking tray lined with baking paper until ready to assemble sandwiches.
- Increase oven to 180C.
- For the Roasted Strawberries, place strawberries onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until starting to collapse. Remove from oven and set aside on the tray to cool until ready to serve.
- For the Macerated Strawberries, place the strawberries in to a medium bowl and set aside until needed.
- Place Rosé and sugar in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Simmer until reduced and syrupy, about 15 – 18 minutes. Once reduced, pour over the strawberries and stir through the sprigs of tarragon. Set aside on the bench to macerate in the bowl for at least 30 minutes. Once macerated, drain the strawberries through a fine sieve and set aside in a small bowl in the fridge until ready to serve.
- For the Pickled Strawberries, combine all ingredients and set aside to pickle for at least 30 minutes. Once pickled, strain through a fine sieve and set aside in a small bowl until ready to serve.
- For the Strawberry, Rosé and Tarragon Syrup, combine the strawberries, rosé and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook until syrupy, approximately 5 minutes. Stir through the tarragon and transfer to a serving jug to serve.
- Just before serving, combine roasted, macerated and pickled strawberries together in a medium bowl.
- To serve, sandwich a disc of Goat’s Cheese Parfait between two Macaron Shells to form a sandwich. Arrange Macaron Ice Cream Sandwiches onto a large serving platter. Arrange small piles of combined strawberries between and around sandwiches and garnish with tarragon leaves. Serve with the jug of Strawberry, Rosé and Tarragon Syrup on the side.