Sarah Tiong - Squid
with Roasted Yuzu Salt and Pickles
Roasted Yuzu Salt
2 tsp yuzu juice
1 tbsp rock salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp yuzu juice
Pinch of salt
8 spears baby corn, cut into thirds
16 broad beans, podded
4 myoga ginger flowers, quartered lengthways
Broad Bean and Yuzu Purée
250g broad beans, podded
reserved asparagus stem portions
Juice and zest of 1 yuzu
Pinch of salt
Charred Squid and Asparagus
400g cleaned squid, cut into large portions, scored in criss-cross pattern
Salt and white pepper, to taste
3 tbsp oil
16 asparagus spears, cut into 1/3’s, stem portions reserved
Reserved pickling liquid
Enoki mushroom tips
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Roasted Yuzu Salt, mix the yuzu juice with the rock salt together in a small bowl. Spead the mixture out onto a small baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake in the pre-heated oven until lightly golden, about 5 – 7 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool, then grind coarsely in a mortar and pestle. Set aside until ready to serve.
- For the Pickles, place sugar, yuzu and salt into a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from heat and add the corn and broad beans. Set aside to pickle for 2 minutes. Once pickled, remove broad beans and corn from the pickling liquid with a slotted spoon and set aside on paper towel to drain until ready to serve.
- Place sliced myoga ginger flower into the pickling liquid for approximately 2 minutes, then remove flowers from the pickling liquid. Set flowers aside on paper towel to drain until ready to serve. Reserve pickling liquid for serving.
- For the Broadbean and Yuzu Purée, bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil. Place all ingredients, except for the yuzu zest, in the boiling water and boil until asparagus and broad beans are tender. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid, and transfer to a blender. Blitz to a smooth purée, adding a little of the cooking liquid as required to achieve the desired consistency. Transfer the purée to a bowl, add the yuzu zest and stir to combine. Set aside, keeping warm, until ready to serve.
- For the Charred Squid, season the squid with salt and pepper to taste and set aside. Heat a large frypan over high heat and, when smoking hot, add 2 tablespoons of the oil, and then a third of the seasoned squid. Fry the squid in batches, scored side down, until just seared, about 30 seconds. Turn the squid over and fry for a further 30 seconds until just cooked through, golden and curled. Repeat for the remaining batches of squid. Remove squid from the pan then trim each piece of cooked squid into bite size pieces. Cover loosely with foil and set aside, keeping warm, until ready to serve.
- Return the pan to the heat, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and asparagus tips and cook until golden and tender, about 2 – 3 minutes. Season to taste, remove from heat and set aside, keeping warm, until ready to serve.
- To serve, spread 1 -2 spoonsful of Broadbean and Yuzu Purée on the base of each plate, divide slices of Charred Squid and Asparagus evenly between the plates and arrange on top of the purée. Scatter some pickles around the squid on each plate, leaning some up against the squid. Sprinkle each dish with Roasted Yuzu Salt. Dress each dish lightly with a tablespoon of the reserved pickling liquid and finish with a light sprinkle of yuzu zest around the plate.