Sarah Tiong - Scallop Crudo
with Thai Flavours and Frozen Coconut Shavings
Peter Gilmore’s Coconut Shavings
60g pure cream
30g caster sugar
60g coconut milk powder
110g double cream
1 long red chilli, finely sliced
1 long green chilli, finely sliced
10 slices fresh ginger, finely shaved
10 coriander stems, 3-4cm long
4 kaffir lime leaves, bruised
4 tbsp white rice vinegar
pinch of salt
5 tablespoons oil
2 small purple shallot, finely sliced
20 green pepper corns
Salt, to season
Juice of 1 lime
2 kaffir lime leaves, bruised
1 long red chilli, finely chopped
1 long green chilli, finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander leaves
20 green peppercorns, crushed lightly
2 tsp fish sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
2cm piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp reserved shallot oil
4 purple shiso leaves, finely sliced
Crispy Shiso Leaves
12 small purple shiso leaves
20 fresh raw scallops
20 green peppercorns
Reserved cooled shallot oil
Salt, to season
- Preheat oven to 120C.
- For the Coconut Shavings, line a loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Place milk, pure cream and sugar into a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, place coconut milk powder into a large bowl. Once milk and cream mixture is boiling, pour onto coconut milk powder and whisk well until smooth. Pass mixture through a fine sieve into a clean bowl and set over an ice bath to cool to 3C.
- Place mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Add the double cream and whisk until soft peaks form. Pour mixture into the prepared loaf tin and level off with an offset metal spatula. Place into the freezer until firm.
- For the Pickles, combine all ingredients in a bowl and set aside to pickle, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and set aside on paper towel in the fridge until ready to serve.
- For the Crispy Shallots, place a fry pan to heat over medium high heat. Once hot, add the oil, then the shallots and peppercorns. Cook until the shallots are caramelised and crispy. Take the pan off the heat and remove the shallots from the oil, reserving the oil in the pan. Place the shallots on kitchen paper to drain, season with salt and set aside until ready to serve.
- For the Lime Dressing, combine all ingredients along with 2 tablespoons of water in a bowl and stir well to combine. Set aside until ready to serve.
- For the Crispy Shiso Leaves, place shiso leaves on a flat baking tray lined with baking paper and place into the pre-heated oven until dry and crisp, about 5 - 6 minutes. Once dry, remove from oven and set aside on the tray until ready to serve.
- To serve, place 5 raw scallops onto each serving plate, slightly overlapping and off centre from one another and top each scallop with a green peppercorn. Arrange drained Pickles around the scallops ensuring that the pickling liquid is drained off and does not come into contact with the scallops.
- Wearing safety gloves and glasses, decant a small amount of liquid nitrogen from the canister and place in to a double walled metal bowl. Place a mandolin across the top of the bowl. Remove the loaf tin from freezer and lift out Coconut shavings block, keeping the baking paper wrapped around one end of the block to hold. Working quickly and very carefully, shave the block using the mandolin into the bowl of liquid nitrogen, taking care not to tip the bowl while pressing down on the mandolin. Use a slotted metal spoon to carefully lift out Coconut Shavings, draining away any excess liquid nitrogen. Place equal amounts of the shavings over dishes. Top with Crispy Shallots and Shiso leaves. Drizzle with a little reserved shallot oil and serve immediately with Lime Dressing in a jug on the side.