Sam Goodwin - Lamb Cutlets
with red onion puree & peas
2 apricots, halved
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
Reserved lamb trimmings
200g lamb bones, chopped
1 red onion, roughly chopped
2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
35g handful muscatel grapes
1 tbsp date molasses, plus extra to season
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar, plus extra to season
Red Onion Puree
2 red onions, peeled and finely sliced
2 tbsp butter
140g freshly shelled or frozen peas
1 tbsp butter
2 figs, quartered
Lamb Cutlets2 x 450g 6 point lamb rack, frenched, trimmings reserved
- Preheat oven to 160oC.
- For the Pickled Apricots, slice apricots into 2mm slices and place into small bowl. Drizzle with rice wine vinegar and set aside for 25-30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- For the Gravy, heat a large saucepan over medium high heat and 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil.
- Add lamb trimmings and bones to pan, cook until caramelised for 5-7 minutes until well browned.
- Add red onion and celery and cook for 5 minutes until golden.
- Deglaze pan with rice wine vinegar and 400ml water. Stir well, scraping base of pan. Add 750ml water, date molasses and muscatel grapes, Remove 1 cup of stock and set aside for Red Onion Puree. Simmer remaining stock in saucepan until reduced by half.
- Strain into small saucepan. Reduce to 150ml. Season with salt, rice wine vinegar and date molasses to taste. Pour into serving jug and keep warm.
- For the Red Onion Puree, melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat. Add sliced red onion and sweat for 10 minutes until opaque. Add reserved lamb stock and simmer until stock has reduced by 3/4s. Remove from heat and puree with stick blender until smooth. Season with salt and vinegar to taste.
- For the Sautéed Peas, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add peas and saute for 5 minutes or until tender. Season with salt to taste and set aside.
- For the Grilled Figs, heat griddle pan over high heat and grill figs on each side for 1 minute. Remove from pan and set aside.
- For the Lamb Cutlets, heat a grill pan over high heat. Season lamb racks with salt and seal lamb on both sides in griddle pan, for 2 minutes on each side. Place on lined baking tray. Place pan into oven for 15 minutes or until core of lamb reads 50-55C for medium rare on probe thermometer. Remove from oven, cover with foil and rest for 10 minutes. Slice lamb rack into individual cutlets to serve.
- To serve, place large spoonful of Red Onion Puree on each plate. Top each serving of puree with handful of Sautéed Peas. Top each plate with 3 lamb cutlets.
- Surround lamb with 2 quarters of Grilled Fig and few slices of Pickled Apricots.
- Serve with Lamb Gravy on side.