Reynold Poernomo - Mango Cream, White Chocolate Disc
with Spiced Pineapple and Lemongrass Syrup
2 egg yolks
55g caster sugar
1 mango cheek, flesh pureed
15ml lime juice
1 small ripe pineapple
100g caster sugar
4 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
White Chocolate Discs
200g white chocolate, finely chopped
3 cm piece ginger, roughly chopped
1 stalk lemongrass, chopped
4 sprigs thyme
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
Fresh pineapple, shaved
Nasturtium flower petals
Bronze fennel, shaved
- For the Mango Cream, place egg yolks and caster sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitter with a whisk attachment. Whisk together until pale, add cornflour and whisk to combine.
- Meanwhile, bring milk to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Whisk hot milk into egg mixture then return mixture to saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring, until mixture is thick and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. When cool, add pureed mango and lime juice and use a stick blender to process until combined. Transfer to a piping bag and set aside in fridge.
- For the Caramelised Pineapple, trim skin from pineapple, cut in half and remove core. Cut into 2.5cm wide lengths then place into bowl with remaining ingredients. Toss to coat well and set aside for 10-15 minutes until juices come out of pineapple. Heat a large frypan over medium high heat. Place pineapple pieces into pan and cook until lightly golden and tender, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat then cut into cubes and set aside.
- For the White Chocolate Discs, place 150g white chocolate into a microwave safe bowl and melt in microwave, in 15 second bursts, stirring in between, until just melted. Add remaining 50g white chocolate and melt in 5 second bursts, stirring in between, until melted. Spread out thinly across an acetate sheet and allow to set.
- Heat an 8cm round cutter in a hot frypan then cut out discs from set chocolate. Set aside.
- For the Herb Consomme, combine all ingredients, except xanthan gum, in a small saucepan with 600ml water and simmer over a medium heat until reduced by half. Strain into the canister of a stick blender, add xanthan gum and process until slightly thickened. Strain into a serving jug and keep hot.
- To assemble, pipe Mango Cream into the base of serving bowls. Top with a White Chocolate Disc then Caramelised Pineapple. Garnish with shaved pineapple, nasturtium petals and fennel fronds. Scatter with lime zest.
- To serve, pour hot Herb Consomme onto the centre of each chocolate disc and serve immediately.