Ray Silva - Cheesecake with Roasted and Pickled Grapes
60g bunch red grapes
60g bunch green grapes
12 red grapes, sliced
1 sheet gelatine, titanium strength
300g bunch green grapes
30g butter, softened
1 egg white
Cream Cheese Mousse
150g cream cheese
100g thickened cream
1 tbsp crème fraiche
1 tbsp goats cheese
1 tbsp sugar
60ml champagne vinegar
50g butter, softened
60g caster sugar
reserved roasted and crushed walnuts
fresh green grapes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Roasted Grapes, spread the grapes onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Place into the oven and roast until grapes are caramelised, but still holding their shape, about 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- For the Pickled Grapes, place the vinegar, sugar and 50ml water into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the sliced grapes. Set aside to cool.
- For the Grape Jelly, place the gelatine into a bowl of cold water and set aside to soften.
- Juice the grapes to yield 200ml of grape juice. Place the grape juice into a small saucepan over low heat and gently warm. Once warm, squeeze out gelatine to remove excess water, add to the juice and stir to dissolve. Pass through a sieve into a shallow tray and set aside in the fridge to set.
- For the Tuille, whisk all ingredients in a medium bowl to a smooth thick batter.
- Line a baking tray with a silpat mat. Spread the tuille batter thinly into 6 lengths onto the silpat mat. Clean the edges with a palette knife to straighten.
- Place into the oven and bake until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and working quickly, slide an offset palette knife under the length of tuille then lift from the silpat and gently lay the tuille over a rolling pin, lengthways, to curve the tuille. Gently remove the tuille and set aside on a lined tray to cool. Repeat curving process with remaining tuilles.
- For the Cream Cheese Mousse, place the cream cheese into a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whisk on medium speed until fully incorporated and smooth. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag and set aside in the fridge.
- For the Champagne Gastrique, place all ingredients into a small saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer over a low heat until reduced and slightly syrupy, about 6-7 minutes. Transfer to a serving jug, keeping warm.
- For the Walnut Crumb, spread the walnuts onto a baking tray with baking paper and roast until just browned, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and reserve half of the walnuts for later use. Take remaining half and crush in a mortar and pestle then set aside until needed.
- Place the butter and sugar into a medium bowl and cream with electric beaters until pale and fluffy. Fold in the flour and bring together with hands to form a soft dough.
- Roll out between two sheets of baking paper to 3-4 mm thick. Remove top sheet of paper and place onto a flat baking tray. Place into the oven and bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. When cool, break into pieces and process in a food processor to a fine crumb. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in the crushed toasted walnuts then set aside.
- For the Candied Walnuts, spread the roasted walnuts onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and set aside.
- Place the sugar into a small frypan and melt over low heat until amber in colour. Deglaze the pan with 2 teaspoons of water and whisk well then remove from the heat. Pour over the walnuts and set aside to cool.
- To serve, pipe a little of the Cream Cheese Mousse onto one side of the serving plate. Gently affix the Tuille on top of the Cream Cheese mousse. Pipe some of the Cream Cheese Mousse in 3 small mounds inside the tuille and around the plate. Add some Roasted Grapes and Pickled Grapes inside the tuille and scatter some around the plate. Add some Candied Walnuts around the plate. Finish with some slices of fresh green gapes and a sprinkle of the Walnut Crumb. Serve with Champagne Gastrique in a jug on the side.