Ray Silva - Australian Ice Cream Sandwich
Lemon Aspen Ice Cream
3 tbsp caster sugar
3 egg yolks
150ml thickened cream
1 ¼ tsp lemon aspen juice
1 tbsp wattleseed, crushed slightly
45g quandongs, finely diced
2½ tbsp caster sugar
Fresh Cheese Mousse
120g fresh cheese
120g thickened cream
½ tbsp caster sugar
2 fresh quandongs, finely diced
- Preheat oven to 180C. Turn on ice cream machine to chill.
- For the Lemon Aspen Ice Cream, place sugar and egg yolks into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk until pale.
- Meanwhile, place cream and milk in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and, whilst whisking continuously, slowly add hot cream mixture to the yolk and sugar mixture.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and place over a medium heat. Heat mixture to 80C, stirring continuously. Remove from the heat and strain anglaise mixture through a fine sieve into a clean bowl then set over an ice bath and whisk until completely cold.
- Slowly incorporate lemon aspen juice into the cooled anglaise, one quarter of a teaspoon at a time.
- Transfer the mixture to the pre-chilled ice cream machine and churn until set then transfer to the freezer until needed.
- For the Wattleseed Biscuit, place butter and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Fold in the flour and wattleseed and continue to mix until a soft dough has formed.
- Place a sheet of baking paper onto a clean work surface. Transfer the dough to the baking paper and top with a second sheet of baking paper. Roll out the dough between the two sheets of baking paper to 3mm thickness.
- Remove the top layer of baking paper and place the dough on baking paper onto a large baking tray. Bake in the oven until golden, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and while still warm, use a 10cm cutter to cut out 4 biscuit rounds. Cut each round into half and set aside on a wire rack to cool.
- For the Quandong Jam, place all ingredients into a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until syrupy, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- For the Fresh Cheese Mousse, place all ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk on medium speed until the mixture reaches firm peaks. Transfer to a piping bag and set aside in the fridge.
- To serve, spoon one tablespoon of Quandong Jam in the centre of the serving bowl. Sprinkle with some fresh diced quandong. Top with a quenelle of the Lemon Aspen Ice Cream. Pipe Fresh Cheese Mousse around the base of the ice cream and lean two Wattleseed Biscuit halves onto each ice cream quenelle.