Pete Morgan - My Coconut
Toasted Coconut Ice Cream75g desiccated coconut
6 egg yolks
Tempered Chocolate shell
140g white chocolate, chopped
10g milk chocolate, chopped
30g caster sugar
fresh raspberries, halved
- Pre chill ice cream machine. Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Toasted Coconut Ice Cream, spread coconut onto a lined baking tray and cook in oven, stirring halfway through cooking time, until golden brown, about 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer coconut to a small saucepan. Add milk and cream and heat over a medium heat until simmering. Simmer gently for 5 minutes then pass the mixture through a fine sieve and reserve liquid.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy.
- While constantly whisking, slowly add reserved, hot cream mixture to the egg mixture until fully combined. Pour into a clean saucepan and place over a medium heat. Stir continuously until mixture thickens and reaches 80 degrees. Remove from heat and place over an ice bath to cool.
- When cold, transfer mix to ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- For the Chocolate Shells, place chocolate in metal bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and heat until half of the chocolate is melted. Remove bowl from heat and stir constantly until chocolate has fully melted.
- Pour into 8 x 7cm dome moulds and coat evenly. Turn upside down over a cake cooling rack to drain excess chocolate. Set moulds aside in fridge until chocolate is set. Reserve excess chocolate and keep warm for assembly.
- For the Raspberry Sauce, place ingredients with 100ml water into a medium saucepan and simmer over medium heat until liquid is syrupy and reduced slightly. Remove from heat and blitz with a stick blender until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve and set aside in fridge to cool.
- To assemble, fill 4 chocolate domes with Coconut Ice cream. Fill remaining 4 domes with Ice cream leaving space at the top. Fill space with Raspberry Sauce. Set aside in the freezer until firm, about 60 minutes.
- When ready to serve, remove domes from moulds. Press together the ice cream filled domes with the ice cream and raspberry filled domes to make 4 spheres.
- With a pastry brush, dab reserved chocolate over the spheres creating coconut fibres, ensuring seam is covered.
- Place a small mound of desiccated coconut on a serving plate. Top with a chocolate sphere and garnish plate with fresh raspberries.