Michelle Lukman - Golden Ball
Apple Raspberry Mint Jelly
2 tsp powdered gelatine
1/4 cup cold pressed apple and raspberry juice
1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
3 tsp sugar
3 sprigs mint, leaves picked
Caramelised White Chocolate Crumb
100g white chocolate chips
pinch of salt
10g champagne gold coloured luster dust
300g milk chocolate melts
Chocolate Shards Crumble
40g milk chocolate melts
¼ cup feuilletine
¼ cup unflavoured popping candy
1 tsp instant espresso coffee granules
pinch of salt
Two Cheese Mousse
125ml thickened cream
¼ cup soft icing sugar mixture
50g cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/2 tbsp mascarpone cheese
1 tsp vanilla essence
pinch of salt
2 tsp double cream
zest of 1/2 a lemon
½ punnet raspberries
1 ½ tbsp sugar
3 tsp glucose syrup
pinch of salt
1 tbsp cornflour
pink dried rose petals
fresh mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Apple Raspberry Mint Jelly, first line a small 16cm x 11cm rectangular baking dish with cling film.
- Place 1 tablespoon of water into a small bowl, sprinkle gelatine powder over the top and set aside for 5 minutes to bloom.
- Meanwhile, combine apple raspberry juice, lemon juice, zest, sugar and all but 2 of the mint leaves in a small non-stick saucepan and simmer over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the bloomed gelatine, stirring until dissolved. Strain the mixture into the pre-lined baking tray. Gently push the reserved 2 mint leaves into the jelly mixture so that they are submerged. Place tray into the freezer until set, about 8-10 minutes, then transfer to the fridge until needed.
- For the Caramelised White Chocolate Crumb, line a baking tray with baking paper. Sprinkle white chocolate out evenly onto the lined tray. Bake in the oven until golden brown, but not burnt, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and use a fork to break up the caramelised chocolate into a crumb. Sprinkle with salt and set aside on the bench until needed.
- For the Chocolate Spheres, first line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside. Place a silicon sheet of 8 x 7cm hemisphere moulds onto a baking tray. Using a pastry brush, dust the moulds with luster dust so that they are evenly coated and set moulds aside until needed.
- Half fill a small saucepan with water then place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Place the milk chocolate melts into a medium sized glass bowl and sit over the saucepan of simmering water. Use a rubber spatula to stir the chocolate occasionally until is has completely melted. Remove chocolate from heat and continue to stir the chocolate until it reaches 39C.
- Pour chocolate into the prepared dome moulds and use a small spoon to ensure that each dome mould is evenly coated with chocolate. Turn the dome moulds upside down onto the pre-lined baking tray and gently tap tray on the bench to release excess chocolate. Turn mould back upright and use an offset spatula to scrape away excess chocolate from the edges of the moulds. Line a new baking tray with clean baking paper and turn moulds back upside down onto the clean tray. Set aside in the fridge to set for 8-10 minutes. Pour all excess chocolate back into a bowl and reserve for the Chocolate Shards Crumble.
- For the Chocolate Shards Crumble, line a baking tray with baking paper. Take the bowl of reserved melted chocolate. Add all remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix well to combine. Pour mixture out onto the lined baking tray and cover with a second sheet of baking paper. Use a rolling pin to roll out the mixture to 3mm thickness, then place into the fridge to set until needed.
- For the Two Cheese Mousse, place cream and half of the icing sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whip to stiff peaks. Transfer to a clean bowl and reserve for later use.
- Place cream cheese and remaining icing sugar into the same electric mixer bowl and whisk on high until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add mascarpone, vanilla essence and salt and continue to whisk on high for a further 1 minute. Add double cream, reserved whipped cream mixture and zest and gently fold until fully combined. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a medium star nozzle and set aside in the fridge until needed.
- For the Raspberry Coulis, place raspberries into a small saucepan and use a stick blender to purée the raspberries. Add sugar, glucose and salt and place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, place cornflour and 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Once purée has come to a simmer, gradually add the cornflour mixture, stirring continuously until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, strain and transfer to a small jug, and set aside in the fridge until needed.
- To assemble, spoon some of the Caramelised White Chocolate Crumb into the centre of the plate. Pipe a dot of the Two Cheese Mousse into the centre of the crumb. Drizzle some of the Raspberry Coulis around the crumb. Gently push one of the Chocolate Sphere domes out from the silicone mould and place onto the piped mound of mousse in the middle of the crumb. Pipe 3 small dots of Two Cheese Mousse into the dome. Add some Apple Raspberry Mint Jelly cubes and some torn fresh raspberries. Break up the Chocolate Shards Crumble into small shards and a few pieces. Finish with some picked mint leaves. Add some of the Caramelised White Chocolate Crumb. Remove a second dome from the silicone mould and place onto the filled dome to encase the ball. Finish with some tiny mint leaves, rose petals and Chocolate Shards.