Karlie Verkerk - Stuffed Stone Fruit
with paneer & date cigars
¼ cup caster sugar
1 strip orange zest
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2½ cups Greek yoghurt
Roasted stone fruit
2 white peaches, halved, stones removed
2 apricots, halved, stones removed
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
2 sticks cinnamon
4 sprigs fresh thyme
3 bay leaves
1 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup toasted pistachios, roughly chopped
1/2 cup almond meal
2 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp salt
3 tspn finely grated orange zest, to taste
Paneer and date cigars
5 medjool dates, pips removed and finely chopped
100g paneer cheese, roughly chopped
35g toasted pistachios, finely chopped
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp brown sugar
Pinch of salt
4 sheets filo pastry
2 tbsp/40g butter, melted
Bitter orange syrup
Juice and zest from 2 oranges
1 tsp brown sugar
3 bay leaves
4 sprig fresh thyme
4 cardamom pods, crushed
½ tsp salt
Roughly chopped toasted pistachios and nasturtium flowers, to serve
- Chill ice-cream machine. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- For the Yoghurt Sorbet, place sugar, orange zest, thyme and ¼ cup water in a small saucepan over a low heat. Stir to dissolve sugar. Strain through a fine sieve.
- Add sugar syrup to yoghurt and whisk to combine.
- Transfer yoghurt mix to ice-cream churner and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions until sorbet consistency. Once churned, transfer tub of sorbet to freezer.
- For the Roasted Stone Fruit, place nectarines and apricots in a shallow baking tray, add remaining ingredients and toss gently.
- Place into oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until beginning to soften. Remove fruit from oven then use a melon baller to make a larger hole where to stone used to be. Set aside fruit while making the stuffing.
- For the stone fruit Stuffing, place all ingredients in a small bowl and mix to combine. Fill holes in fruit with stuffing then return fruit to oven for 10-15 minutes until filling is golden.
- To make the Paneer and Date Cigar filling, place dates, paneer, pistachios, cinnamon, cardamom, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Take one sheet of filo pastry and brush with melted butter. Repeat with another sheet of pastry then cut sheets in half. Top one half with 2 heaped tablespoons/ one quarter of date mixture and form into a log shape. Roll up pastry like a cigar, folding in at the sides and brush end with a little more butter to seal. Repeat with remaining filo and filling to make 4 cigars.
- Place cigars on a lined baking tray, brush with remaining butter and bake in oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown . Remove from oven and cut each cigar in half on an angle, set aside until needed.
- For the Bitter Orange Syrup, place all ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat. Reduce for 10 minutes until slightly sticky. Strain through a fine sieve and transfer to a bowl for serving.
- To serve, place one stuffed peach half and one stuffed apricot half in the base of each serving bowl. Add a scoop of Yoghurt Sorbet to one side, top with Paneer and Date Cigars and sprinkle with pistachios and flowers. Serve with the Bitter Orange Syrup on the side.