Karlie Verkerk - Shabu Shabu
with Wagyu Beef and Scallops
Wagyu Beef and Scallops
4 scallops, roe trimmed away and reserved
500g wagyu sirloin steak, fat trimmed and reserved
1 cup bonito flakes
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 ½ tbsp hatcho miso
1 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
Reserved wagyu trimmings and scallop roe
Salt, to taste
Honey Yam Chips
100g honey yam, thinly sliced on mandolin
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
Salt, to season
Pickled daikon, cut into fine 4cm long matchsticks
- For the Wagyu Beef and Scallops, wrap the scallops in cling wrap and half of the steak separately in cling wrap. Reserve remaining half of the wagyu. Place both parcels in the freezer until frozen firm, about 1 ½ - 2 hours.
- Remove frozen beef and scallops from freezer, unwrap, and slice into 2mm thick slices on a meat slicer. Set aside until needed.
- Finely dice the remaining wagyu. Heat a large frypan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the reserved wagyu fat and render the fat, about 2 – 3 minutes. Add the steak and fry, stirring, until all fat has rendered and the steak is crispy. Remove the steak from the pan, drain on kitchen paper and set aside, keeping warm, until ready to serve.
- For the Miso Broth, combine all ingredients along with 5 cups of water in a medium saucepan and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add the scallop roe and poach for 3 minutes. Remove from broth and set aside until needed. Strain the broth through a fine sieve lined with muslin. Season to taste and transfer broth to a small saucepan. Place the broth over a very low heat to keep hot until ready to serve.
- For the Honey Yam Chips, soak slices of honey yam in water for 10-15 minutes to remove excess starch.
- Drain yam slices and pat dry on paper towel. Heat the oil in a deep fryer or medium saucepan to 180C. Fry the honey yam in the hot oil until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes. Drain on kitchen paper, season with salt and set aside until ready to serve.
- To serve, distribute scallop slices equally between the 4 serving bowls, placed in the middle of each bowl. Top scallops with raw slices of wagyu. Add 1 poached scallop roe to ach bowl. Scatter each bowl with daikon batons, crispy wagyu and honey yam chips. Pour hot Miso Broth into each bowl and serve immediately.