Karlie Verkerk - Mushrooms and White Sesame
Serves 4, as a starter
1/4 cup white sesame seeds, toasted
2 tbsp sake
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp white sesame oil
2 tsp mirin
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
1/4 tsp caster sugar
Salt, to taste
Pickled matsutake mushrooms
½ cup rice wine vinegar
¼ cup caster sugar
20g fresh ginger, thinly sliced
12 matsutake mushrooms
Grilled shiitake mushrooms
2 large shiitake mushrooms, cut into quarters
1 tsp olive oil
Salt, to taste
Sauteed white shiitake mushrooms
2 tbsp grapeseed oil
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp finely grated ginger
1 spring onion, finely sliced
8 white shiitake mushrooms
2 tbsp light soy sauce
Mushroom and Cocoa Dust
5 dried shiitake mushrooms
½ tsp cocoa powder
2 slices king brown mushroom
1 clove roasted garlic, cut in half
Toasted white sesame seeds
Spring onion, green part only, finely sliced
- For the Sesame Sauce, place all ingredients and 2 tablespoons water in a blender and blend until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve and set aside.
- For the Pickled Matsutake Musrooms, place vinegar, sugar and ginger in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until sugar dissolves. Add mushrooms and pickle for 5-7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- For the Grilled Shiitake Mushrooms, set a wire cooling rack over an open flame and grill shiitake mushrooms, for 2-3 minutes, turning halfway, until lightly charred. Coat in oil and season. Set aside.
- For the Sauteed White Shiitake Mushrooms, eat oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger and spring onion, and cook for 1 minute. Add shiitakes and cook for a further minute. Add soy sauce, toss and remove from heat. Set aside.
- For the Mushroom and Cocoa Dust, place all ingredients in a spice grinder and blitz to a fine powder. Set aside.
- To serve, place one tablespoon of sesame sauce in the middle of each plate. Arrange mushrooms in a half moon around the edge of the sauce, including half a clove of roasted garlic. Sprinkle over mushroom dust, sesame seeds and spring onions.