Karlie Verkerk - Japanese Apple Pie
Soy Milk Ice Cream
1 ½ cups soy milk
½ cup thickened cream
¼ cup caster sugar
2 egg yolks
1 Fuji apple
Salt, to taste
60g brown sugar
60g plain flour, sifted
4g baking powder
60g unsalted butter, melted
½ tsp each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger
¼ tsp salt
½ cup caster sugar
½ cup cream, warmed
1 ½ tbsp red miso paste
1 Fuji apple, cut into 2cm cubes
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp unsalted butter
½ tsp finely grated fresh ginger
Pinch of salt
Almonds, finely grated
Shiso flowers and small edible leaves
- Turn on ice cream machine to pre-chill. Preheat oven to 160C.
- For the Soy Milk Ice Cream, place egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whisk until thick and pale.
- Heat the soy milk and cream in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and, with the motor running, pour into the egg mixture, whisking continuously, until combined.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over a medium heat, stirring continuously, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon. Transfer ice cream mixture to a medium metal bowl and place over an ice bath to cool. Once cool, transfer to an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Once churned, place ice cream into freezer to set until needed.
- For the Apple Chips, thinly slice apple into rounds using a mandolin. Lay the slices out in a single layer on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake in the pre-heated oven until crisp, about 15 0 20 minutes. Remove from oven, season with salt to taste and set aside on the tray until ready to serve.
- Increase oven temperature to 180C.
- For the Spiced Sponge, place eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whisk until pale and fluffy. Add flour and baking powder and mix to incorporate. Add melted butter and spices and salt and mix to incorporate. Pour the batter into a 16cm x 12cm baking tray lined with baking paper and bake in the pre-heated oven until light and spongy, about 12 – 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out on to a cooling rack until needed.
- For the Miso Caramel, place sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat until melted and dark caramel in colour. Add warmed cream and miso paste and whisk well to combine. Transfer caramel to a serving jug and set aside, keeping warm, until ready to serve.
- For the Caramelised Apple, place all ingredients in a medium frying pan over medium heat and cook until apples are caramelised, tender but still retain their shape, about 5 – 7 minutes. Transfer the contents of the pan to a bowl and set aside until ready to serve.
- To serve, place 2 tablespoons of Caramelised Apple cubes in the base of each serving bowl. Top with a quenelle of Soy Ice Cream. Tear the Spiced Sponge into small pieces and place 3 pieces randomly around the ice cream on each plate. Scatter 3 Apple Chips, grated almond, flowers and leaves over each plate. Serve with Miso Caramel in a jug on the side.