Jess Butler - The Tea Ceremony
Matcha Panna Cotta
400ml thickened cream
100g caster sugar
1 ½ tbsp matcha powder
6g gelatin leaves, titanium strength
Beetroot and Blood Orange Sorbet
450g blood orange
2g xanthan gum
1g fine salt
75g caster sugar
25g powdered glucose
Beetroot Jewels and Syrup
100ml reserved fresh beetroot juice
100ml reserved fresh blood orange juice
75g glucose syrup
50g caster sugar
1 large (200g) beetroot, peeled and cut into 5mm cubes
Black Sesame Tuille
1 egg white
60g caster sugar
40g plain flour
30g butter, melted
1 tbsp black tahini paste
1 tsp carbon black food colouring powder
4 tsp black sesame seeds
Black Sesame Meringue
2 egg whites
100g caster sugar
1 tsp black sesame seeds
1 blood orange, segmented
micro beetroot leaves
micro red garnet
black sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 170C. Turn on ice cream machine to chill according to manufacturers instructions.
- For the Matcha Panna Cotta, place gelatine into a small bowl of cold water and set aside to soften.
- Set up 6 plastic dariole moulds on a baking tray and set aside.
- Combine cream, milk, sugar and matcha powder in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat, squeeze out gelatine to remove excess water and whisk into the hot cream mixture until dissolved. Strain through a fine sieve into a pouring jug.
- Pour mixture into prepared dariole moulds and place into the fridge to set, about 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, for the Beetroot and Blood Orange Sorbet, juice beetroots to make up 450ml beetroot juice. Strain juice through a sieve lined with muslin cloth, then strain again a second time. Place 300ml of the juice into a medium bowl and reserve 100ml for Beetroot Jewels and Syrup.
- Juice blood oranges to make 350ml blood orange juice. Strain through a sieve lined with muslin cloth, then strain a second time. Place 200ml of the blood orange juice into the medium bowl of 300ml of the beetroot juice. Reserve 100ml of blood orange juice for Beetroot Jewels and Syrup.
- To the bowl of beetroot and blood orange juice, add xanthan gum and salt and whisk until dissolved. Set aside until needed.
- Place 100ml of water, sugar and powdered glucose in a small saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil.
- Once syrup is boiling, pour into the medium bowl of juices and blitz with a stick blender until fully combined. Strain through a fine sieve into a clean bowl and cool over an ice bath. Once cool, transfer to ice cream machine and churn until set. Once set, set aside in the freezer until needed.
- For the Beetroot and Jewels Syrup, combine reserved beetroot and blood orange juice, 100ml water, glucose syrup and caster sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Add cubed beetroot, reduce heat to low and simmer until beetroot is tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside in saucepan until needed.
- For the Black Sesame Tuille, line a baking tray with baking paper. Whisk egg white and sugar in a medium bowl until frothy. Sift in flour and whisk until smooth. Whisk in melted butter followed by black tahini and black colouring and continue whisking until completely smooth.
- Spoon tuille mixture onto pre-lined baking tray and use a small offset palette knife to spread to 2mm thick. Sprinkle black sesame seeds over the tuille and bake in the oven for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly then use a 6cm circle cutter to cut discs into the tuille then set tray aside until required.
- For the Meringue, combine caster sugar and 100ml of water in a small saucepan over high heat and bring to 115C.
- Meanwhile, place egg whites into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk to soft peaks. Once sugar has reached temperature, slowly pour into the mixer of egg whites and continue whisking until mixture is thick and glossy and has cooled completely. Transfer meringue to a piping bag and set aside on the bench.
- To serve, fill a small bowl with warm water. Gently dip the dariole moulds into the warm water for 10-15 seconds to loosen, then turn out the Matcha Panna Cotta onto one side of the plate. Pipe kisses of Meringue in a crescent shape around the panna cotta using a blow torch, lightly brown each meringue and top with some black sesame seeds. Place some segments of blood orange around the meringue. Spoon some of the Beetroot Jewels next to each of the blood orange segments. Arrange some of the Black Sesame Tuille discs around the crescent. Finish with some black sesame seeds, micro herbs and a quenelle of the Beetroot and Blood Orange Sorbet. Transfer remaining syrup from Beetroot Jewels into a teapot and serve.