Callan Smith - Apple and Rose Pie
Apple Ice Cream
½ tsp vanilla
3 egg yolks
600g green apples
2 drops green food colouring
6 rose petals
6 drops of red food colouring
¼ cup water
3 Cinnamon sticks
1 Nutmeg Whole
4 green apples
1½ tsp ground cloves
1 Carrot, peeled
1 Parsnip, peeled
Green Apple Syrup
Juice of 4 green apples
4 drops green food colouring
2 cinnamon sticks, crushed
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C and pre-chill the ice cream machine.
- For the Apple Ice Cream, place cream, milk, and vanilla in a medium saucepan, set over medium heat and bring to just below boiling point. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, place egg yolk and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk until thick and pale. Add hot milk mixture while whisking continuously until incorporated. Return mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring continuously, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat, pass through a fine sieve into a bowl and place over an ice bath to cool.
- Juice apples and add juice immediately to the cooled mixture. Add food colour and mix with a whisk until well combined. Pour into an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Set aside in freezer.
- For the Rose Water Granita, combine the petals, sugar, food colour, and 250ml water in a small saucepan and whisk to combine. Set over high heat and bring to a boil, remove from heat and add the rose water, whisking to combine. Pour into a small shallow tray and freeze until set.
- Once set, using a spoon, scrape away at the surface of the mixture to form a light snow. Return to freezer.
- For the Crumb, combine ingredients in a food processor and blitz until fully combined and a dough forms. Wrap dough in in cling film and set in the fridge to rest for 20 minutes.
- Unwrap and take portions of dough and press onto a lined baking tray. Bake until dark brown, about 20-25 minutes. Remove form oven and set aside to cool. Break into small shards.
- For the Stewed Apples, place cinnamon and nutmeg in a saucepan and set over medium heat until they start to release their natural oils. Crush the warm spices and wrap in a muslin cloth.
- Chop the apples and place in a medium saucepan. Add sugar and 50ml water and allow to simmer over medium heat until the apple starts to soften. Add muslin wrapped spices and cloves and let simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- For the Vegetable Bark, using a vegetable peeler, slice long ribbons from carrot and parsnip and spread out on 2 lined baking trays. Bake in oven until brown and crunchy, about 15-20 minutes. Remove form oven and set aside.
- For the Green Apple Syrup, combine the apple juice and sugar in a small saucepan and boil for 5 minutes. Add the food colouring, stir through and set aside to cool.
- For the Baking Scent, combine rose water and crushed cinnamon sticks in a small saucepan and set over medium heat. Boil until cinnamon has infused into the rose water, about 8-10 minutes. Set aside to cool then pour into a spray bottle.
- To serve, place some Crumb into the base of serving bowls. Top with Vegetable Bark then Stewed Apples. Add some Rosewater Granita, a quenelle of Apple Ice Cream and dress with the Green Apple Syrup. Spray Baking Scent into the air and serve.