Blue Team - Smoked Cinnamon Ice Cream
with Vege and Fruit Chips and Salted Butterscotch
Smoked Cinnamon Ice Cream
2 cups cream
Fine smoking chips
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 cup milk
Vege and Fruit Chips
175g butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into a rectangle
150g carrots, peeled
Skin from 2 apples
Cream Cheese Mousse
125g cream cheese, cubed, softened
1 tbsp icing sugar
Salted Butterscotch Sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup cream
Murray River pink salt, to taste
- Pre chill ice cream machine. Preheat oven to 150C.
- Place cream into a medium bowl and cover with cling film. Fill bowl with smoke from a smoking gun, remove nozzle and reseal cling film tight. Set aside to infuse with smoke for 30 minutes.
- Place smoked cream, milk and cinnamon into a medium saucepan and bring to just below boiling point. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, place eggs and sugar in a mixer and combine until fluffy and pale. While whisking continuously, add hot cream mixture to egg mixture and whisk until combined. Return mixture to saucepan and place over a low heat. Cook, stirring, until mixture reaches 82C and thickens. Pass through a fine sieve into a medium bowl and place over a bowl of iced water until cold. Transfer mixture to ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Divide between 6 x 7cm dome moulds.
- For the Vege and Fruit Chips, slice pumpkin and carrots very thinly using a mandolin. Spread out onto a large lined baking tray along with apple skins. Bake for 25-30 minutes until dry. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- For the Cream Cheese Mousse, combine all ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer beat using a paddle attachment until combined and fluffy. Transfer to a piping bag and set aside in the fridge.
- For the Salted Butterscotch Sauce, place all ingredients into a small saucepan, except for salt, and simmer until sugar has dissolved and a smooth sauce has formed. Season generously with salt, to taste and keep warm.
- To serve, place dome of Smoked Cinnamon Ice Cream to one side of each serving plate, and sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover with some Vege and Fruit chips to look like a pile of leaves. Pipe some Cream Cheese Mousse and place remaining Vege and Fruit Chips of top of mousse. Drizzle with Salted Butterscotch Sauce.